start. people. places. things. me. | island profilin'

An illustration of my life, loves and various random information
that you may or may not find the least bit useful...
all from the island of St. Simons.

Friday, February 22, 2008

Friday Foto: New Favorite


It's not too often I like a photo this much. I love this picture. I've been experimenting a lot lately with in-camera controls. Basically, I'm trying to get quality photos straight out of the camera, without photoshop. Now, I have NO PROBLEM with photoshop, trust me... I love that program and am not one of these photographers that say it's cheating or such. I believe it is a absolutely necessary tool to any photographer. However, the better I can get the photo in the camera, the better I get and the less time I have to sit in front of a computer.

Anyway, this shot was a mid-morning shot, as the sky turned bright blue. I changed the white-balance settings in my camera (the setting that determines the color of light, ie: warmer or cooler). I used a cooler setting, as well as a polarizer filter at a 6th of second exposure to get this image. I was standing on a rock ledge, shooting down on the moving creek. I did nothing in Photoshop to this image, other than clean off a couple of dust specs from my camera.

Funny side-story... My dog Gwinny was hanging out with me. She was standing on the rock ledge as well, just dying to get in the moving water. It was pretty quick water, so I didn't want her to go in. She was being a good girl, minding me. Well, the ledge was rather small and when I repositioned with my tripod I swung the legs around and knocked her into water and she went down stream for a good bit before being able to get out! I felt bad, but couldn't stop laughing. She's a strong swimmer.

Anyway, not much else is new. We had a great time at the cabin. It's nice to get up there for such a long time (Thursday night to Monday morning). Here's another photo I took. It's one of our best friends from college and her 14-month-old Abbey. So cute...

Have a great weekend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love love love this pic!

Anonymous said...

really awesome picture

Anonymous said...

Ben, you've really gotta watch your tripod hitting people in the head.