start. people. places. things. me. | island profilin'

An illustration of my life, loves and various random information
that you may or may not find the least bit useful...
all from the island of St. Simons.

Friday, April 18, 2008

Friday Foto: Ummmm, Pizza




I love food, no big surprise there. One thing I love ALMOST as much as eating food is shooting food. The colors are always really diverse and the creativity is almost endless. Food photography is actually a really big thing. There are photographers that specialize in only shooting food. Lighting and composition is key in all photos, but I think a little more so in culinary photos. See, it's easy to take a picture of a dish, but to make it look appetizing is where the skill and know-how comes into play. If the food looks flat (poorly lit) and sloppy (poorly composed) forget it. Take the photo below. This is a slice of real pizza, believe it or not. Look how flat it looks. The photographer had a flash shot directly on the food, allowing no shadow and light fall-off, creating a very washed out image. Not to mention the composure... ummmmm, wax paper.




I'm working on a promotion for Brogen's North, a local restaurant here in town. They are running a special on a medium pizza, two house salads and a pitcher of beer for $22 (not bad off the rack price of $30!). I used an off-camera flash and bounced it off the ceiling and then the mirror (not visible in pic) to the right of the food. I think it came out pretty nice. 

Anyway, not much else is new. I'm chaperoning the High School's Grad Night this Saturday evening. This is, for you that are less informed, when a whole bunch of HS seniors go down to Disney World for an inclusive party basically. Rides are open and it's an all-night event, just for Seniors. They have well-known bands there too. Laugh if you will, but it's a pretty sweet gig for a chaperone. Disney takes care of us. There's a whole chaperone-only section that has a never ending buffet, unreleased movies on the big screen (complete with free popcorn and candy), and yes, we too can ride all the rides (which I really enjoy). They already have security down there in the park, so we really don't do much.

That's all I got. Yall have a great weekend. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

man, that brogens pizza looks absolutely freaking incredible!

Ben said...

ah ha... that's the point! thanks.

Anonymous said...

Brogen's North...oh, how I miss the island. Your blog o' photos feeds my reminencing and nostalgia. We hope to be down there the next few weekends -- your photos are making me anxious!