start. people. places. things. me. | island profilin'

An illustration of my life, loves and various random information
that you may or may not find the least bit useful...
all from the island of St. Simons.

Friday, January 18, 2008

Friday Foto: art



It's been awhile since I've expressed my artistic side with photography. I get so busy shooting material for ads and clients that is seems like I have less and less time to further my artistic skills. It's a shame, because this is what I truly enjoy. I try to add my own style and artistic "flare", if you will, to my everyday shots, but a lot of the time the material I shoot dictates the style in which it needs to be shot, not the other way around. 
So, I've come up with my own self-help program. I'm forcing my self to put together all new material for a show of grandeur proportions. I don't know when it will be or where. For those of you who have been to Monkey Love and seen my work there, it will not be like that. I want this in gallery, with just my work, all for me. Having this high of an aspiration forces me to push my skills further. I want BIG, bold, beautiful prints with nice solid frames. I don't know how I'll pay for that yet, but that's just a hurdle. 

Now, the photography part... The show's going to have a theme, of which I haven't decided yet. Right now I'm in the conditioning stage. I've started going out and shooting more art related shots. Each time I go, I only allow myself one lens, and so far, it's been my favorite fixed focal length 50mm lens. Not having a zoom really forces me to think a little bit outside the box.
I'm toying with the idea of doing a black and white show, but haven't decided yet. Above are two shots that I took last weekend. I'm not displaying these as potential show material, just would like to get some feedback. Criticism is much needed.  Have a great weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, for the one with the barnacles... i feel like if you got in really close and let the those take up the whole frame where at first you couldn't tell what it was, that could be neat.