start. people. places. things. me. | island profilin'

An illustration of my life, loves and various random information
that you may or may not find the least bit useful...
all from the island of St. Simons.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Twin-Sticked Dana 300

Ok, I know this post will probably appeal to only about 3 readers, but what the hell... it doesn't hurt to know a little bit about Jeeps, so read on.

Over the Christmas break I installed a twin-stick conversion kit into my Scrambler (thanks Santa!). What's that you may ask? I shall tell you.... Typically in 4-wheel drive equipped cars, you have two options for 4-wheel drive. 4 High, for faster speeds (like driving on icey roads, etc) and 4 low (for slower speeds, which also includes a lower gear ratio so you get more power with less engine stress). Now, that's great and all you really need (in most cases). In my Jeep, when you shift the lever, you are actually pulling a rail in and out of the transfer case (the thing that gives power from the engine to the axle). There is one rail for each axle. When you shift, it pushes both in or out, depending on what you are putting it into. Look at the stock photo with a twin-stick installed below. See how the two shifters each go to one rail? That's what I did. This gives me the ability to now shift just the front into high or low, just the rear into high or low, or any combination of the two. There are three common uses for this upgrade:

1. Rear Low, Front axle disengaged. This puts just the rear axle into low range. Imagine riding a bike in the easiest gear to peddle... Especially with a locked-rear (both wheels get power, like my jeep), in 2-Low you can get through pretty much any thing. This is good, because it puts a lot less stress on the car, not having to deal with the front axle.

2. Front Low, Rear axle disengaged. This does the opposite, putting the rear axle into Neutral. With this, you can do what's known as a 'front dig'. Having just the front axle working, you can move the front of the car where you want it. You can pull yourself up or out of things without digging the rear into a messier state of 'stuckness'.

3. Front High, Rear Disengaged. In the worst case, if you break something in the rear, like your axle, drive shaft, etc, you can disengage the whole rear driveline and get home in front-wheel drive. I've actually been in that situation before.

So anyway, here's a couple of progress pictures from my install and tunnel cover I made. Hope you enjoy...

Original setup, notice one shifter (on the left) for 4wd.

Stock Dana 300 Transfer case, with a twin-stick installed. Notice the two rails.

Mine installed, before I heated up the stainless steel
shifters and bent them to a better position.

Bent into place and beginning fabrication of a new tunnel cover
constructed of stainless steel.

All finished!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm one of those 3 people who get it!!

Nice work, Ben. Gotta love 2WD low. :-)

Anonymous said...

I did not enjoy this post.

Anonymous said...

Did you have to take the pin out of the place where you bolted the new shifter? can you send a better picture of how you mounted or closer pictures. gpevfd@bellsouth.net

Librmuel" Local off road" said...

I am also one of the Three

that looks good and not in knee range
keep up the good work " when in doubt throttle out"