start. people. places. things. me. | island profilin'

An illustration of my life, loves and various random information
that you may or may not find the least bit useful...
all from the island of St. Simons.

Friday, January 30, 2009

Friday Foto: Can I have $75,000?


I took this photo of this jewelry ensemble for an ad in a local publication. It has blue star sapphires, rubies, emeralds and diamonds all set in 18kt gold. This was hand made in Greece. What's interesting about this piece is that the main sapphire was the only one the owner originally had, the stone by itself. She had a very gaudy taste (as you can tell) and needed more flare. She contacted Tiffany & Co. and had them search high and low for matching star sapphires. It took them four years. A star sapphire is a rare version in the sapphire family, because when the light hits it just right a star can me seen in the center of the stone. This particular one, being corn-flower blue as they call it, is even rarer. The ring itself is $37,000. The other two pieces can be added to the package for a total of $75k. Would I wear this if I was a girl. Hell no. But one has to appreciate the uniqueness of this piece. It's amazing. The blue drapping the jewelry is sitting on is the inside of a woman's jacket. I shot this with all natural lighting from a nearby window, taking two exposures and merging them selectively to get the highlights and shadows I wanted. 

So what else is new? Not much. This week has flown by. I have three shoots this weekend, all my favorite kind. Live-action happy hour shoots. I love shooting stuff like that... so much more exciting than shooting non-moving rings and such. I'll be at Catch 228, Bennies and then Delaney's Bar. Of course, it'll be happy hour and I will have to partake... the photos will only get better!

Other than that, I'm cleaning around the house this weekend. Plan on starting to create a babyland in our house. Watch out.

Sunday is the Super Bowl and I plan on stuffing my face with Bacon Explosion.... so the cook better come through. I'm dying to try it. I'm making some of my killer chicken wings as well. Can't wait. Go 'dores, I hope they win. 

2 comments:

The Moerman Family said...

Bacon Explosion? I threw up a little in my mouth when I read how its made. I did..... gross. I hope you dont die of a heart attack eating that stuff! :)

Anonymous said...

If you do, in fact, eat that thing I will need a full report on next week's blog (provided you live through the night).