start. people. places. things. me. | island profilin'

An illustration of my life, loves and various random information
that you may or may not find the least bit useful...
all from the island of St. Simons.

Friday, January 19, 2007

Friday Foto: River edition






So last weekend I went on the Altamaha River. Probably one of my favorite places in the world, and to be more specific, Lewis Creek which runs off of the Altamaha. I don't know why I love this place so much. I've seen prettier places, but maybe it's more than just the sights. It's the feelings associated with it. Off Lewis Creek is Lewis Island, home to the world's largest un-cut Cypress trees. Back in days, when they were pulling these trees for lumber, they eventually stopped because they couldn't get the machines any further back into the depths of the tree-populated island. So here today, they sit, monster trees. Trees so big it would take 5-6 grown men to wrap their arms around one trunk.

We got on the river to catch some of the morning light for photographs, then on to Lewis Island to hunt for the trees. See, they are kind of hard to find. This was my fourth trip to look for them, and each time we get a little closer. This time we actually found one, a dead one, but all the same. I can't wait to find the live ones. According to our calculations, next time we should find them. GPS's are great.

This weekend should be fun. I have a lot of family in, celebrating my Grandmother's 86 birthday. I am cooking Italian food tonight for the whole lot of them (around 25 or so!). Tomorrow we are all cooking lobsters.

That's about all I got this morning. I'm taking a half day so I can begin cooking, so I'm pretty excited. Hope you guys have a great day and weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Woman from Tokyo"