start. people. places. things. me. | island profilin'

An illustration of my life, loves and various random information
that you may or may not find the least bit useful...
all from the island of St. Simons.

Friday, January 05, 2007

Friday Foto: New Year and Poi.




Poi (pronounced 'poy') is the art of spinning fire. My cousin, who has been and still is in the Peace Corp down in Belize has picked up this little sport. Him and his wife were home for the holidays and we got to hang out for a couple of days while I got these shots. What could be more fun then spinning balls of kevlar soaked in Coleman fuel on 18 inch chains? Not too much I tell you.

So yeah, it's the new year. I'm not giving myself any new year's resolutions, because I usually fail at them. I have, however, coined 2007 the Year of Ben. Life is about being, I know. But I can't help but look back on 2006 and ask myself what did I accomplish that really matters? A couple of things granted, but this year will have more. The Year of Ben is going to be a bountiful harvest, full of changes for the good of me and my family. Hobbies I've neglected, projects I've half started, time I've neglected to spend, etc... watch out! I'm coming for you.

My holiday break was great. I had a wonderful extended break that had me back in the office just Wednesday. Every year since I was born my dad has taken off the week between Christmas and New Years. It's always been a special time in my life, a time to relax and spend time with family and friends. Two Christmas's ago (2005) was my first year ever working during that time. It killed me, as I'm sure I posted here. This year I had enough time and was given a little extra, to enjoy that week once more. Now I'm hooked. After working through it one year, I'm never doing it again. I'll save my off days if I have to. It's too special to me.

So that's about it. My best friend Whit is having some wedding shower parties (notice the plural tense) this weekend, so I'm pretty excited. I love not having to worry about what to do. I hope everyone of y'all had a great weekend. Get ready, The Year of Ben is upon us all now. Don't be surprised.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm SO excited about the year of Ben! Projects galore!

Anonymous said...

Cool Photos, Ben! Especially the middle one. I loved being able to spend time with everyone this year too!