start. people. places. things. me. | island profilin'

An illustration of my life, loves and various random information
that you may or may not find the least bit useful...
all from the island of St. Simons.

Monday, March 12, 2007

Project Scrambler: New Interior!











Talk about getting a lot accomplished this weekend. I have a lot to show for it, including black-stained hands that I CAN'T clean.

Friday night I finished prepping the interior of Margaret. I took everything out. I vacuumed, brushed and wiped the whole thing down with Acetone. This cuts any residue that may be there to inhibit the proper adhesion of the Herculiner. Included in this photo stream you'll also see the body work I did. The major rust areas I cut out and replaced with new steel plates.

I then rolled her into the garage and began applying the herculiner. I love that stuff. It's messy though. You have to first cut it in in the corners with a brush, it's much more accurate. Then you can roll in the larger places. I applied one thin coat and took a break for dinner around 7:30 p.m. After dinner I applied another coat, this time laying it on real thick. Those two coats were about 7/8s of a gallon. Saturday morning I applied the last coat (a whole quart) and rolled it out into the yard to let the sun speed up the drying process. Saturday afternoon it was rock-hard dry and amazing. I am so pleased with the outcome of it. I bolted back in the seats, installed new seat belts and went for a cruise. It's definitely a little quieter with that rubberized layer. I love it.

I got a Tuffy Overhead console that's only made to fit Jeeps with the common 2.5 inch rollbar. The Scrambler has a beefed up 3 inch rollbar. I've always liked the overhead consoles, and decided to attempt a fabricated bracket to install it. I got 3.5 inch u-bolts from the hardware store and made a bracket out of 3/4 inch plywood. I bolted this to the back of the tuffy box and then, with new holes drilled for the new u-bolts, I bolted the tuffy box to the rollbar. It worked like a charm! I love it. Now I'll have a secure place to store my electronics and be able to lock them.

Next task is body work. I'll spend the next several hours grinding all body rust, replacing where necessary and bondoing a lot. I hope to be painting in 2 weeks max!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks good, Ben. I told you to wear gloves!

Overhead console looks good, too. Might a suggest painting the plywood black so it is less visible. Should work well for you.

I'll be doing my tub sometime soon. Maybe in a couple weeks. I'm gonna spray mine in though and use Durabak in a dark gray color.

Anonymous said...

nice! monday update! that's what i'm talking about!