start. people. places. things. me. | island profilin'

An illustration of my life, loves and various random information
that you may or may not find the least bit useful...
all from the island of St. Simons.

Friday, May 18, 2007

Friday Foto: Almost Over


Yes, Friday is here and the week is almost over. I have spent more time at work this week than I ever imagined. It's needed though. My boss is in the hospital right now undergoing surgery to try and remove the cancer that he was just diagnosed with (two days after his mother passed). I've been "holding down the fort", if you want to call it that (I still haven't found the cannons though). It's been busy to say the least. I'm sure all be in over the weekend sometime, just trying to keep the business up ya know?

So Kelly and I went out for a little cruise the other night and made our way over to the new dock that Sea Island built out in Epworth. I like that dock, they did a great job on it. I was hoping to photograph one of the highest tides I've seen in a long time. Monday night it was insane, you could not see marsh between St. Simons and Brunswick, no lie. It wasn't this high on Tuesday, but I did get this shot. I really like it. It really conveys the mood I was in. I really feel like I shoot in moods. I use photography to unwind sometimes; I'll go out and shoot one evening to decompress all my stress, etc. I can see that in my photos, compared to shots not taken in these "meditation sessions", if you will.

I've been reading a good bit about flash photography, using it to fill in shots. I have a friend who's into it too, although he's planning on using it more for still life, and I want to use it more for people. Check out this site: www.flashflavor.com. It's devoted to the stuff that I might start getting into. Pretty amazing technique. I know I could do it, but it would definitely require me ponying up a little bit more money to pay for some equipment, not that I've ever had a problem with that (don't worry Kelly!).

On the Scrambler front, I got some new stuff done. I installed a new set of Skyjacker shocks last weekend and I really like the difference. It's not much of a smoother ride, just a little less crazy over the washboard-type road. I installed a Warn M8000 winch on the front, now I can go anywhere. Warn is the best company I've ever dealt with. I bought a used winch from a buddy with plans to rebuild it. After countless emails and phone conversations with Warn, they wound up sending me a factory refurbed one free of charge! It's amazing. I haven't used the winch yet, but don't worry, it's not going to be that way for long.

Anyway, that's all I reckon. No plans this weekend. Probably beachin' it all day tomorrow. Thinking about hosting a little BBQ too, tomorrow night. Who knows? I do have loads of photographs to process, so I will be doing that this weekend at some point. Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you liked that site. Pretty cool stuff.

The new 580EXII flash will be here today. I might stop by if I get it at a decent time.

Next thing we need to do is to try and build one of those homemade ring flashes!