start. people. places. things. me. | island profilin'

An illustration of my life, loves and various random information
that you may or may not find the least bit useful...
all from the island of St. Simons.

Friday, June 22, 2007

Friday Foto: Eclectic Edition





So I've decided to take my photography to the next level. I'm going to start submitting work to any publication I can find. From Parenting Magazine to National Geographic. That's the only way I get my dream job... being a Freelance photographer. Getting paid (and very nicely too) to travel and shoot things. That's my goal. They say you can do anything you put your mind too... well, I'm going to test that theory. I'll keep you posted.

Today I have a smorgasbord of different pictures. The first one is from the Mayan ruins in Belize. Yes it is an HDR shot. I'm not a big fan of HDR shots used for landscapes like this one, it gives the photo a crazy effect, one that anybody with the knowledge of multiple exposures can accomplish... but, alas I did it. I took it mainly for demonstration purposes.

The next photo is of a church in Key West. I loved this church. It was en route to Hemmingway's house on Duval Street. Just a neat little old wood church with chipping paint.

The third and fourth pictures were from a recent shoot I just finished. A local business wanted some massage photography for marketing purposes. I'm pretty happy with the outcome. These are two photos from a collection of about a dozen.

So I'm excited about this weekend. My best friend from college and his wife are coming into town tonight. I haven't seen him since his wedding (over a year). They are staying with us until Monday. We are going out in the boat tomorrow, with beer and brats. I hope the weather holds out for a nice weekend. I'm pretty excited.

Next week I've got a great shoot. I'm shooting a two-day conference for Sports Business Journal, a national publication distributed widely. CEOs from Reebok, Nike, major sports teams, etc will be there. It's a big break for me. I'm pretty pumped. Anyway, that's all I got. Hope you guys have a great weekend, I know I will.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I disagree about the HDR shots. There are a lot of people who shoot HDR that don't know what they are doing. I have a lot of HDR shots that people don't even realize are. It is all about the post-processing and tone-mapping.

Nice shot of the church. Cool angle. I'd clone out the wires though.

Ben said...

well said, and yes, I do agree with you. I too have lots of shots that you wouldn't have been able to tell were HDR (and wouldn't have been able to take without HDR). I guess I meant I hate it when people take shots like the Mayan Ruins and keep the shot looking like that. It's a drastic effect that people pass off as photographic talent. Properly done, it can be amazing.

Yes, I plan on cloning out the wires, just hadn't done it. Thanks...

Anonymous said...

Wow, Ben, loved the pregnant one. Very unique.

Unknown said...

Okay, what excatly is HDR? And secondly, when you said your best friend from college was coming into town, i was thinking- how did he know that i was coming to town? I didnt tell anyone. Then i realized, we didnt go to college together, and i do not have a wife. haha :)

Anonymous said...

goat sucks... the pictures are awesome! Congrats on the upcoming shoot too