start. people. places. things. me. | island profilin'

An illustration of my life, loves and various random information
that you may or may not find the least bit useful...
all from the island of St. Simons.

Friday, August 25, 2006

Friday Foto, sad again


This has been a sad couple of weeks for us island folk. We are loosing a lot of our beloved landmarks, be it fast food or beauty. We all know this is happening, and there is nothing we can do really... but, I've decided to photograph as much of these landmarks that are leaving us as I can. One day I hope to make a collection of St. Simons (and surrounding areas) photographs in the way that I remember it.

Did you ever give someone directions on or off of the island? I bet it most always included something along the lines of, "You'll see the stables on you left...". Well, they are tearing that down too. Earlier this week I, uh, went in to the stables by means of hopping a couple of fences, to take photos before they started demolition. They have the entire thing gated off now. Who knows what it is going to be. Probably some sort of pretty grassy park covering up the expansion of parking lot for Sea Island. One thing I know though, you won't be able to ride Cherokee there for your birthday anymore. It's a real shame.

Then you got your folk out there that will say that it is great for the horses... they are moving to their new facility out towards the north end, they have better stalls, yadda, yadda, yadda.... plus, it's great real estate right there, and the stables always smelled. You know what I say to that? Horse shit (couldn't resist!).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why did you have to talk about Cherokee? Now I'm crying.

Anonymous said...

Where's Curtis gonna work?

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite things about living on the Island has always been "having" to take the time to slow down from my busy day for a few minutes and let the horses cross Frederica. And who can forget the Golden Retriever stable dog that would wander out into the middle of Frederica when it came time for the horses to cross and stop the traffic. Life's gonna a bit more harried now I fear...

Anonymous said...

don't forget about the pigs

Anonymous said...

I LOATHE THE SEA ISLAND COMPANY!