start. people. places. things. me. | island profilin'

An illustration of my life, loves and various random information
that you may or may not find the least bit useful...
all from the island of St. Simons.

Friday, September 15, 2006

Friday Foto: Archive edition


Yeah, so I've been so busy this week, I didn't get to shoot anything. Last weekend was the Cheerleader shoot, and that went very well. The other High School has me for the last weekend in September, the same day as my next wedding. I might post one of those pics on here when I have them all processed.

This photo was taken towards the beginning of the summer on Jekyll. I love Jekyll Island, it is so peaceful and untouched. I really like this photo. It has encouraged me to strive for more B/Ws and duotones. A duotone is simply a photo with two colors. Since White is the absence of color, it's black and one other color. For example, sepia is a duotone, black mixed with a little light brown/yellow color. I made this one with a hint more red in it. Why? Because Kelly said that if it was going to be over our fireplace, it had to match the couch. I like this idea. "Come to Ben for all of your custom color photographic needs."

So tonight, another night filled with Friday-night football. To actually tell you the truth, I really enjoy going to the games. I watch the games now, instead of throw things at the cheerleaders and band.

I'm trying to work out a new show. I'm trying to get a show up at Rafter's here on the island. They have that back room where I can hang my art. We're talking about it right now, but I don't know what weekend to do it. I was thinking either opening reception on Thursday before GA/FLA or opening reception Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Which one do y'all think is better? I want to try and maximize all the people being down here. I could hang the photos without glass, so it wouldn't be too dangerous or something. I'm thinking GA/FLA, but I don't know. I know the last guy that had an art show there didn't want people in that room at night. I don't think I would say that. People buy stuff when they are drunk. It's like drunk downloading. You wake up in the morning and can't figure out why "Baby Beluga" is on your computer.... oh wait, is that just me?


Speaking of music... John Mayer has a new CD out. Before you go sizing me up as a Starbucks-sippin' yuppy, listen up... I used to HATE John Mayer. Why? Because I really liked him when the material for his first CD, "Room For Squares," was floating around the internet. It was raw and uncut, acoustic and smooth. When it busted out on the CD it was, simply put, popified. I turned my eyes/ears from him. However, his new CD "Continuum," which came out this week, is different. I heard he covered a Hendrix tune, so I had to pick it up. His tribute to Hendrix in "Bold As Love" is right on. Mayer is an amazing guitarist, and while it still has a couple of "made-for-radio" tunes (read, poppy) on there, the music itself is very good. Check it out.

Y'all have a great day.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

GO TERRORS! GO VANDY!! I love that pic honey!

Anonymous said...

The pic is good. and i have to agree with you about Mayer as well. He was really good about 3 years before the rest of the world had heard of him, now he is just a cocky, pompous jackass, and i dont know that i really care to hear any more of his songs.
On a different note, i think that ga/fl weekend def has more people floating around just cause everyone from athens comes down. the only problem with that is that drunkin people will tend to trash things... so be careful.

Anonymous said...

yeah, I agree with Sara about the date bc a lot of people also go out of town for T-day. I miss you Goat!!! COme to the game!

Anonymous said...

cant go to the game, sorry.... i have to pack, leaving tonight for charlotte.... plus, i didnt go to the games in high school, why would i go now? :)

Anonymous said...

damn goat, you're so cool. can i be like you? weren't we trading you in for a stubborn mule?

Anonymous said...

aww, dont be mean! i dont like football.... get over it!