start. people. places. things. me. | island profilin'

An illustration of my life, loves and various random information
that you may or may not find the least bit useful...
all from the island of St. Simons.

Friday, August 22, 2008

Friday Foto: Fay Foto Fun, etc.


Whew, what a week! I absolutely LOVE storms. For many reasons really, but for mainly the dramatic skylines, winds, excitement in the air, etc. For you who don't know what I'm referring to, I'm talking about Tropical Storm Fay. It barely missed us yesterday and we are still getting pretty nice rain and wind bands from her as she slides south across northern Florida. 

Let's back up for a second though. This past Tuesday I took a day off to hang out with my cousin who was in town for the night. It was great to see him and we really got to spend some quality time together over beer, fishing rods and the boat. I caught a nice pompano that I filleted right there and plan on cooking this weekend for dinner. Not bad for a day off!

So, Wednesday was the first real day of storm conditions. I had to take a head shot of somebody at lunch for some new business cards I'm working on for them, and since I already had all my gear out, I looked around for a photo of the storm. I went out to Gould's Inlet and didn't really get much. I got this shot, the one you see below. I turned around to see this camera man with a lens in my face. Turns out he was with The Brunswick News, and now I'm on their web site. I've really made it big now, let me tell you.
 
I knew the waves would be crashing over the rocks at 5th Street beach, so I drove on down there and got this shot. I was putting away my camera when a little lady pulled up to watch the waves. She sat there and I watched a huge wave come over the rocks and wall and crash onto her car... she speed off scared out of her mind.
I then called my friend who I KNEW would be out surfing or planning to. I was right, he was en route to the Sea Island jetty at that very moment with some friends about to go hit the waves. I followed them out there and grabbed some shots. You really can only surf here (St. Simons Island, Sea Island) during storms. We just don't really have the waves for it. Even in storms, the surfing isn't great. Nice waves, but they break too fast and your ride is short.
Other than that, that's all I've been doing. Shooting, working and trying to stay dry. I put my hard top and hard doors on my Jeep to combat the rain a little. It definitely helps, but it still leaks and I've been packing full rain gear every day prepared for the worse. I have no plans this weekend. I'm supposed to be helping my in-laws move into their new house if the weather holds out. If it doesn't, I'll be doing a lot of nothing... to which I'm NOT complaining. Have a great weekend, stay dry. 

No comments: