start. people. places. things. me. | island profilin'

An illustration of my life, loves and various random information
that you may or may not find the least bit useful...
all from the island of St. Simons.

Friday, August 24, 2007

Friday Foto: IR begginings


IR stands for Infra-Red. Back in the ole film days, photographers used to experiment with IR film. It was film sensitive to IR rays, not just light (in a sense). Things that are 'cool' (radiating little light reflection) are portrayed as darks (like the dark blue sky at the top, it's black). Things that are 'hot', reflecting lots of light (including photosynthesis) show up as light... the marsh in this scene is close to white. Now, acheiving this is best done in camera (versus post process), with either a film camera and IR film or a digital camera that has been converted to shoot in IR. Once you convert a digital camera to IR (a manual procedure that requires hacking into your camera) you can't undo it. This shot was done in photoshop, originally taken in color. It's a semi-accurate portrayal of an IR shot, however it is not exact. The clouds should be brighter and I bet the marsh would be whiter. However, it's a start. I love IR photography, it's like B&W on steroids... super-charged. More to come, I'm experimenting with this.

Anyway, I still love the iPhone, so nothing is new. I'm heading down to Florida tomorrow to go pick up a hardtop for my Scrambler. Yeah, it's been awhile since I mentioned Margaret on here. Don't worry, I'll post some pics with Margaret with her top on and off soon (hehehe... couldn't resist). I'm pretty excited.

That's it. Hope everyone has a great weekend. I know I will!!!

No comments: