start. people. places. things. me. | island profilin'

An illustration of my life, loves and various random information
that you may or may not find the least bit useful...
all from the island of St. Simons.

Friday, August 03, 2007

I'm back!



Did you miss me? Sorry I didn't post last week. Friday morning Kelly and I woke up at 4:30 a.m. to get in the car and drive 7.5 hours to Captiva (an Island on the Gulf Coast of Florida) where we had a little vacation. It was great. We went out in the boat everyday, fished, ate and drank. Couldn't ask for more out of a vacation huh? Today's two fotos show a little bit of the area. We stayed at a Jensens, a little place tucked in between two high rises. It's like how Captiva probably was back in the 60s; untouched and unmauled by ever-changing society. It's a nice place. Anyway, the first foto is of their marina at night. I like taking long night shots and this is one of my favorites from my time there, clocking in at 170 seconds.

The second photo is kind of funny. I was walking on the beach one night watching the sun set. I walked up ankle deep into the water to get some photos of the waves crashing against the sand. I saw a family playing in the distance and went to compose my shot... not paying attention to the waves anymore. Well a nice swell came right up and soaked me causing me to fall over in mid shot... I thought the shot was ruined. But after processing it and reviewing it further, I kind of like it. Let me hear what you think.

So, I've been working on my people photography, as you may or may not know. I've been working on "airbrushing", all though I don't like to call it that. I prefer, photo enhancing or something along that line... I don't really believe in doing a ton of work to a photo, like a cover shot for Cosmo, it's sooooo worked on and fake. We wonder why so many woman are unhappy with their body... look at the media. Anyway, despite my dislike for what it has done, I like the skill and have been working on it in hopes to be able to use it (to a certain extent) for certain portraits and brides. My latest is linked here. You see the after photo and by rolling your mouse over the photo, you will see the before. Let me know what you think.

Anyway, that's all I got. I have a wedding to shoot this weekend and we are also throwing Kelly and our friend Jennifer a joint birthday party... should be LOADS of fun. I'm pretty excited. Hope you guys have a great weekend!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow- I hope Diana doesn't see that! I'm so proud of your correct use of their!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that was from me :-)

Anonymous said...

Good post processing on that image, Ben. Seemed to be about the right amount to me. Not too overdone or plasticky. I may start getting into a little more of this with my new flash equipment (and more coming).

Hope that wasn't my lens you borrowed when you fell down in the water!

Ben said...

nah... it was my 50mm... luckily, camera didn't get wet, just my ass..

thanks for the compliments!

Anonymous said...

Love the airbrushing photo of Diana, it's way cool.