start. people. places. things. me. | island profilin'

An illustration of my life, loves and various random information
that you may or may not find the least bit useful...
all from the island of St. Simons.

Friday, August 10, 2007

Friday Foto: turning pages...


I think I'm beginning to turn a page in my photographic thinking. I watched a very interesting documentary the other night on PBS that outlined the life of five Cuban photographers. Their photos felt raw, unscathed, well thought out, simply beautiful. I envy, sometimes, the nostalgic and aesthetic feeling that I get from looking at really good analog (non-digitally captured) prints, both black and white and color. There is something about it, not necessarily the film, but the talent (maybe) or something... I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's just because I saw it on the boob tube.

Anyway, I'm using this wave of emotion, along with a series of thoughts and feelings I've been having, to migrate my photography to the next level. We'll see where it takes me.

Today's foto doesn't necessarily represent the aforementioned feelings, it's just the one I had lined up for this week (However, I will let you know when I have something born from this new ideology, in hope of your input). It's a row boat at the marina in Captiva. I saw it when I first arrived and knew I wanted to get this photo. I like it OK.

This should be a good weekend. I'm going to a lake house on Lake Sinclair in Milledgville this weekend, just for Saturday night. I'm excited. If you didn't catch earlier, I'm starting to post more, so check out the last post (for all those who got accustomed to me posting once a week and not reading any further than this post). Hope y'all have a great weekend! Thanks for reading.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a good shot, Ben. My only comment would be the horizon line in the middle of it. I'd have liked to have seen more water or more sky. I have a tendency to do this too often myself. I like the post processing a lot though.

Anonymous said...

I really like this photo! You should do more like it...

Anonymous said...

I think you are the hottest photographer in the world!

Nicole said...

Hey, I like Lake Sinclair, I've been several times with a group of people my mom (mom and dad both were) is in a Bible study with. :)

Anonymous said...

fried chicken!