start. people. places. things. me. | island profilin'

An illustration of my life, loves and various random information
that you may or may not find the least bit useful...
all from the island of St. Simons.

Friday, August 31, 2007

Friday Foto: It's ME!


Yep, so this is the first Friday Foto to ever feature another photographer.... my wife. I stumbled upon this photo last night while looking for something and decided to show this photo to go along with something I've been wanting to talk about for awhile.

What makes a good photographer? A lot of people will have different things to say about this, and I, by no means, expect to answer that question in a single post. Some of it's the eye... being able to see a moment that wields a good photograph. Some of it's the skill... being able to know how to capture that moment to best represent the feeling and portray it correctly to a viewer. Some of it's the luck... having both of the aforementioned traits line up and thus, magic happens. Of course, there is also equipment, composition, experience (which I believe is slightly different than just talent/knowledge). See, one can know the ins and outs of the f-stop/shutter speed continuum, but knowing what works best in a split second is more than just knowledge.

So why this picture? I like it. Always have. Maybe a little bit because it's me. But it reflects a time in my life that I can look back on and really grab to. There I sat, on the rocks in Cinque Terre, on the coast of Italy drinking a beer in the afternoon. I was tired, hot, and hadn't showered in two days. I was traveling with six girls and was just about fed up. Kelly snapped this photo, not really knowing what she was doing, but saw the moment... and that is key. Some photographs need just the moment, nothing more.

Now, I'm gonna step on my soap box for a second. I, being a lover of photography, see loads of photos. What bothers me the MOST in the photographic world is the self-proclaimed photographer who claims to be an artist, yet doesn't understand the previously mentioned points. No, I am not saying I am better and there is no room for our "point and shooters". Point and shoot away, I do often as well. I guess what I am lamenting is the poor quality of "art" that swarms the masses and dirties the blood of the true profession.

And finally, saying all that, is there no place for photos like the above? Of course there is, it's a great shot, I love it, like I said. But it's a great shot to me for sentimental reasons. I guess my point of view is this: I'm striving to produce more work that I can proudly say and feel that is true art. This means I will, no doubt, produce less quantities, but hopefully higher quality. Of course there will always be a place and need for photographs of the non-art quality, ie: day to day work, etc. But for now, I'm focusing on honing my skill I reckon.

That's all I got. I'm heading to the mountains this weekend for the labor day break. I'll be up at my cabin, and of course, will shoot some... pics to come. Happy Friday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ben, I love this picture... or maybe I should have addressed Kelly? I think it shows a little bit of apprehension, and maybe a little bit of "a sinking in" feeling. Love it!