start. people. places. things. me. | island profilin'

An illustration of my life, loves and various random information
that you may or may not find the least bit useful...
all from the island of St. Simons.

Monday, January 16, 2006

My Weekend.

I woke up in the middle of the night and was freezing. I reached for my thermometer and read 54 degrees. I might have well been in heaven. I love cold weather camping. Some will laugh at that statement... Cold. Saturday morning greeted me with beautiful blue skies and chilly, windy air. To me, it was perfect. When a campfire becomes a necessity rather than a nicety.

Let me tell you one thing. On traveling to the Okefenokee Swamp, one encounters many quaint towns and sites. However, there comes a point in which that stops and you find nothing. No gas stations, no food stores, no bathrooms. Of course, this point comes when I am hungry... really hungry. Let's just say we are short one dog now. No, just kidding... all you PETA freaks can calm down. (Hey, by the way, you know what PETA stands for don't you? People Eating Tasty Animals!)

We rented a boat on Saturday and took a cruise through the swamp. How magnificent it is. We docked on one of the 70 islands throughout the swamp, Billy Island, and walked around and had lunch. It was so rejuvenating to see such untouched wilderness still. The dogs seemed to thing so too, running around and getting into everything imaginable, including the bag of marshmallows.

The best thing was definitely getting away. Getting away from the computer, the work, the stress. Spending quality time with Kelly. See, there is a huge difference between spending time with someone and spending quality time with someone. Regular time helps pass time, quality time helps preserve time. It took me awhile to get that one down. I'm still working on it.

Anyway, enjoy the photo below. It is of Billy Island in the Okefenokee. Basically straight outta the camera folks...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

"death, you are my bitch lover!!!"
ahahahahaha

Anonymous said...

HAHA I bought the movie, the DVD version has some really funny inserts in it.

Glad you guys had a fun weekend. Not much of anything happened around here.

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen that movie... i will have to borrow it bobby. I love billy island. Damn, i havent been to the okefenokee swamp in forever. i need to go. maybe next weekend. hmm.....

Anonymous said...

goat, what weekend are we going to skateland and partying in your exclusive zip code?

Anonymous said...

i think i saw a for-sale sign in front of skateland. tell me it aint true.

Anonymous said...

Cold? 50 degrees is cold? Let me tell you, when I woke up this morning and it was 30 degrees outside, I was overjoyed that it was so warm. It's not cold until your balls shrink to the size of raisins.

Anonymous said...

What weekend are you planning on coming home? We can do it not this coming weekend, but the weekend after if you want.
I have not seen a for sale sign in front of skateland, and i drive by it all the time. I will check on my way home tonight.... it may be for the car place in front of it. hmm.
dan, 50 degrees is very very cold for us south georgians. 30 degrees is why we dont live anywhere other than south georgia....

Anonymous said...

well you better get used to that type of weather in Vermont.

Better to be cold than have to deal with than rain in Oregon or the lifestyle in San Fran.

Anonymous said...

goat -- when are your parents leaving town? i need to know when to rent that pony from the petting zoo and to finalize the keg order... do you think the pony would like skateland?

Anonymous said...

Dan, it was 50 degrees in the camper- that's why we were so cold. It was in the 30s outside with huge wind gusts. Still I know that's warm to you! :-) Spring will be here soon....Have you gone back to school yet?