start. people. places. things. me. | island profilin'

An illustration of my life, loves and various random information
that you may or may not find the least bit useful...
all from the island of St. Simons.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Friday Foto (and more!)




Good Friday to you all. I have two photos for you today. Let me tell you about them... The first one I took last Saturday morning. I woke up at 6 a.m. as usual and decided that since I was up I would go shoot. I know, I have nothing better to do. I went out to the beach, and was quite productive. I got three shots that I really like from that shoot. This is one of them. I was about to head back when I saw the crosses erected in the dunes. The moon was perfect, as well as the lighting. I quickly composed the shot, under exposing to ensure the warmer colors of the dunes and detail in the moon, and got this shot. I really am pleased with it.

On the other side of the photography spectrum is this candid film shot I took of Pippin, our now almost two-year-old Yorky, when he was probably eight months old. From time to time I will shoot some slide film (positive as opposed to negative) and scan them into digital files. Why? I don't know. I used to do it because it provided better quality, but I am convinced beyond doubt that my new camera is far superior now. Anyway, back to the photo... Kelly worked in Atlanta for a period of time and I was up there visiting her in her apartment. For some reason or another we had these egg crates rolled up on the floor. Well, we were about ready to leave, so we called for Pip and could not find him. After searching and panicking, I see the egg crate rolling ever so lightly back in forth. Yes, he had found himself a little hideaway that he was fine and content in staying in. I quickly grabbed my camera and snapped this shot. It wasn't until earlier this week that I finally had the film developed and I had forget all about this memory.

That's why I love photographs. That little funny memory of our first pet would have been, and was, completely lost until I saw the photo again. If you don't already have one, I encourage you to get a camera. I don't care if it is film or digital. Digital is cheaper now, I promise. If you don't know what to get, I will personally help you find something to fit your budget, that's how much I think everybody can use one. So please, take me up on this offer.

Something I was thinking about tonight... What shows do you all miss that don't come on anymore? Either re-runs or new episodes, doesn't matter. Of course, I would have to go with McGuyver (my all time favorite; new episodes of course), but that's not what sparked this thought. What ever happened to VH1 Storytellers and MTV Unplugged? These were two of my all-time favorite shows, Unplugged in particular. I know I have seen a Springstein Storytellers recently, but they used to be a lot more frequent. I guess it's hard to cut an unplugged version of "It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp". Some of my favorite songs/renditions came from those shows. Man...

I'm excited about this weekend. I am leaving after work today and Kelly and I and another couple are going camping at Crooked River State Park in St. Mary's. We are bringing a boat and plan to go to Cumberland for the day. It should be a blast (and cold!). Expect some photos on Monday. Alright now, get back to work.... but not before you comment. Have a great day/weekend. Later...

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

The one of Pip is too cute!!! Yall are leaving me AGAIN this weekend? That hurts, Ben, it really does. I wont see yall forever and a million years now. I am leaving for good ole ATL for the next 2 weeks. Whatever will yall do without your goat? You should take a picture of me so you can have me by yalls side forever and always :)

Anonymous said...

whats the deal with scientology? southpark did a huge thing on it and chef left. and tom cruise is a part of it? is it a cult? whats the deal...

Nicole said...

A show I miss is MST3K. Mystery Science Theater 3000 for the uninformed. Great watching a guy and two robots make silly comments about terrible movies. I especially remember one where there was a head in a hatbox that was controlling some lady and making her do things..or it might have been a man it was controlling. Anyway, very funny.

Oh, and if you can find me a digital rebel for under 500 dollars, I will convert to Benianity. I found one but it was backordered and I am pretty sure I'll never get it.

Anonymous said...

Katie, Scientology is essentially the study of truth. Followers believe that man is immortal and that his existance goes beyond a lifetime. They also follow that they do not need to accept things on faith. The individual believes in what he has observed to be true. They believe that in that way alone can you reach true freedom.

I am sure it goes much deeper than that, but i dont know how much, or what it is. Hope that helps a little.

Anonymous said...

sounds like a load of crap to me. But thanks for the help!

Anonymous said...

basically scientology is bullshit that brainwashes people who are weird and should only live in L.A. where reality doesn't exist.

"It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" is a great new show on FX that has new episodes coming this summer......I know it's not a canceled show, but you guys should definitely watch it, it's hilarious.

Obviously I wish Bobby's favorite show Seinfeld was still on, and I don't know if you guys ever watched that show Kingpin, that they decided to turn into a miniseries on NBC, but it was AWESOME! It was like the mexican version of the Sopranos. The early and mid Frasiers are great, but the show started getting all sentimental towards the end, and lost a lot of it's comedy.

Ben, I don't know how you get up at 6am on a saturday.

Anonymous said...

6 am doesn't exist. period.

Anonymous said...

SPRAY FART!

Anonymous said...

The only time 6am exists on a saturday is if you are still up from the night before, right, john :)

Anonymous said...

oh yeah and scientologists believe that when a woman goes into labor, it should be done silently as to not worry the baby. i mean, COME ON. plus, youre supposed to leave it alone for a couple of weeks afterward to let it acclimate to its surroundings since it just went through so much trauma coming into the world.

any religion that was made up by someone who denounced it before he died and pretty much said it was a load of crap should go away pronto.

Anonymous said...

you got it goat bag!

Anonymous said...

you know what i just noticed? we have actually had a discussion on this blog about religion and EVERYONE has agreed. IT'S A FESTIVUS MIRACLE!!!!

Anonymous said...

That is a big HOLY SHIT!! haha. Probly the first and last :) yay us!

Anonymous said...

and i brought it up! yeah for me!....and south park.

Anonymous said...

dear turner,
Have you ever been to LA ? It's a hell of a lot of fun, it will blow you're mind and change your life.

Anonymous said...

hahahahaha! Are you kidding me? L.A. will blow your mind? What, the ostentatious and materialistic search for vanity and immortality?

There's a distinct culture in Los Angeles that's portrayed in countless movies, books and plays which attest to its reality.

Ever see Barton Fink, Swingers, Mulholland Drive? Ever read The Day of the Locusts?

Clearly, the rational opposing argument will be "those are just books, movies and plays," but i find it incredibly tough to discount multiple decades worth of portrayals as completely irrelevant.

"I put it to you, 'Steve' - isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you bad-mouth the United States of America!"

East Coast 4 life! free chic-o-stix to the 1st to identify the source of the quote....

Anonymous said...

i don't want to go to a place that "changes my life". i want to go to a place where i can have some beers with some friends and share a few laughs w/o being judged for it b/c i'm not wearing the latest pair of trendy sunglasses or a piece of red string around my wrist that celebrates a "scientology" type religion for christians who wish they were jews.

L.A. ain't blowin anyone's mind....the only blowin out there is done by all the turd burglars wishing they were in brokeback. (sorry if this crosses the crude line ben. just let the FCC deal with me.)

Anonymous said...

don't bash it til you've tried it. don't stereotype a whole city because of what the media portrays it to be like. it's only the media, they are maybe 5% accurate.

again, another debate resulting in diversity!

Anonymous said...

not talking about the media; talking about film-makers and artists who have lived there and experienced the destitution

Anonymous said...

people i work with and know very well who live in L.A. tell me how materialistic and snooty it is. even people who live in other parts of cali hate L.A.......and if Californians hate, then you know it must be weird.

Anonymous said...

look, there's no reason to get anyone's panties in a wad over this. there are depictions of LA and there are experiences of people in LA and there are opinions of people from LA.

Some may be different from others. All are True. Different experiences lead to different analyses. No one has to agree.

The End.

Anonymous said...

amen

Anonymous said...

Who the hell are all of these 'anonymous' peeps with strong opinions and no names to back them up? (i dont care one way or other about the opinions, i just want to know who thinks them, thats all:) ).

Anonymous said...

nobody's getting undies bunched up. we're all just bustin balls.

the end.

Anonymous said...

nobody's getting undies in a bunch. we're all just bustin balls.

the end.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I had no interest in starting such a heated debate. I had no idea that you all felt so strongly about a place that you've never been to ( or so it would seem).
So fuck it, stay where you are. Sorry. . .

Anonymous said...

RODNEY KING! RODNEY KING! RODNEY KING!

Anonymous said...

wheres the love, man