start. people. places. things. me. | island profilin'

An illustration of my life, loves and various random information
that you may or may not find the least bit useful...
all from the island of St. Simons.

Friday, March 17, 2006

Friday Foto

This is Rifle Cut. A man-made, or should I say, slave dug canal that makes a short cut between The Darien River and the Altamaha River. It is 1.2 miles long, straight as an arrow, lined with Cypress trees and Pitcher plants. This is not an artistic shot, but rather a visual aid for my blog today.

Last night I put in on the the Darien River to travel north up the Altamaha to meet up with some of my friends that have been kayaking down from Millidgeville, GA all the past week. I was going to pick them up on Lewis Island, off Lewis Creek, which is off the Altamaha. I was going to pick them up and take them to dinner and then take them back. Well, the tide didn't cooperate with me, so I couldn't take Rifle Cut and had to go the long way, which led me into hundreds of sand bars that made a 15 minute boat ride turn into a 1.75 hour boat ride. That was no fun. When I got there, they were all happy to see me and we took off for Skippers (the restaraunt). I laid a track with my GPS as we traveled back, this time being able to go through Rifle Cut.

Dinner was great, but now it was dark outside. Real dark, and I had to go back to Lewis Island, and then BACK to the boat ramp... Ahh, the wonders of a GPS. You don't know what it is like relying 100% on a GPS... I mean, not even looking where you are going on the river, starring the whole time at a little 2 inch screen. Needless to say, you have to have faith in that thing.

Anyway, all was well. I made it back OK... got home at 11 p.m. Have a great weekend.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it nice that you have a loving, supporting wife who didn't kill you after that little stunt?

Anonymous said...

Exactly what I was thinking. You are a brave man to be navigating the Altamaha with nothing but a GPS but at least you got home in one piece.

Anonymous said...

Yay for adventures!

Anonymous said...

good story, sounds like fun.... how far south were the kayakers going? that sounds like a really cool trip!

Anonymous said...

What Paige? You like it when slaves do stuff for you? What a huge racist! hahahahahaha.