start. people. places. things. me. | island profilin'

An illustration of my life, loves and various random information
that you may or may not find the least bit useful...
all from the island of St. Simons.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Voir Dire

For all you out there that aren't Latin scholars or students of law, Voir Dire stands basically for "truth talk". It is the process in which lawyers question potential jurors in hopes of weeding out the ones they don't want before a final panel is picked. I knew nothing about anything prior to going into this jury duty, and I gladly say I now know a little bit more.

I did not get picked, after two days of Voir Dire, one being individual (where it is just me in the room with the judge and attorneys and clients) where they asked me more personal questions. I feel no problem with telling you about the case (at least the amount I know) because it's public knowledge (written about in The Brunswick News last year)... plus, I download music, I'm already a rebel. HA...

It was a criminal trial involving two accounts of aggravated assault and two accounts of child molestation. That is all the details I had. It was the state prosecuting the defendant, who - I'll leave his name out - was a big supporter of Elaine Brown (the lady that was running for mayor awhile back)... I mean, BIG supporter. The guy was politically connected, and the trial was deemed to last at least 1 week. So, I'm glad to have gotten out of that.

That's a tough thing to do. I wasn't picked because I told them when asked that I have had a couple friends in the passed molested. How do you look at that without bias? I would have liked to take part on a trail like that, I think I would learn a lot, but in my mind, the guy didn't stand a chance. When I heard the charges, I already formed an opinion, one that I don't think any amount of evidence could have changed. Does that make me small-minded? I don't think so. I wish I could view that subject impartially, but something so touchy as child molestation, it's kind of hard. I wouldn't have felt right sitting on that panel of jurors... my mind was already made up, and aren't we supposed to presume the guy is innocent? Anyway...

I was thinking last night... what is you favorite slap-stick comedy? When I say slap-stick, I mean stupid, dumb comedy that you often times need to be intoxicated to really find funny. Not these cleverly humorous movies, I'm talking Chris Farley, Adam Sandler, Wayan's brothers... I want everybody to practice Voir Dire this morning, and tell the truth... even if it is an embarrassing testimony... let's hear it... Mine? It's a toss-up changing with the days between "White Chicks" and "Joe Dirt", occasionally I toss in "The New Guy" and "Stuck On You". Anybody else?

11 comments:

Ben said...

I can derelick my own balls thank you.

Anonymous said...

I am glad you learned what Voir Dire is, Ben.... isnt law so much fun!?! (not that i am in school yet, but working in the office is exhilirating ;)).
And, that is the point of asking those questions--- you are in no way wrong to feel that way. Most people probly did, thats why they have 40+ potential jurors and narrow it down to a select few. It is those biases that make the practice of law subjective versus objective.

Anyways, on a different note, if you consider it slap-stick, i would have to say 'half baked' is my favorite. Zoolander is pretty good, i guess. I just dont watch a lot of slap-stick comedies. I dont really like them all that much (i hated zoolander the first time i saw it, 3 watches later, i find funny, though) Actually, something about mary was funny the first time i saw it.

Anonymous said...

Man, Zoolander and Joe Dirt can be greatly appreciated w/o being severely intoxicated. I think those movies are part of the upper echelon of intellectual comedies.

It's worth watching Joe Dirt just for the music alone!

You might not find my favorite "slapstick" under the comedy section.

It's the movie EMPIRE! Not really a comedy, or slapstick for that matter, but the acting alone will have you rolling.......or wanting to shove a screwdriver into your retina.

Anonymous said...

I love white chicks, and y'all know I have no sense of humor....hehehe

P.S. Ben, I've used your jury duty experience today in talking about To Kill a Mockingbird. They were all captivated :-)

Anonymous said...

PS, there's an article about that case in the paper today.

Anonymous said...

I like Super Troopers

Anonymous said...

I forgot about super troopers. Great movie!

Anonymous said...

Dumb and Dumber, without question.

Dr.T said...

I too will have to say Super Troopers. There's nothing funnier than cops sitting in a diner chugging maple syrup.

Anonymous said...

except maybe a drunken student chugging mustard at waffle house at 3am... wait that wasn't a movie

Nicole said...

awww, the New Guy. I like that movie. I also like Liar Liar, which you mentioned in the previous post. So that's my pick. Liar Liar.

I like your foto.

I wish I could buy your camera and stuff, but sadly, I have not the funds. I don't really know of anyone looking to buy either. But I'll let you know if I hear anything.