start. people. places. things. me. | island profilin'

An illustration of my life, loves and various random information
that you may or may not find the least bit useful...
all from the island of St. Simons.

Monday, April 17, 2006

What a shame...

I love going out to eat, I really do. I like food, I like the entertainment, I like being around people. There are certain places that I particularly like, certain places that really foster memories within my soul. Alfonzo's Old Plantation Supper Club was one of those places.

On New Year's eve, at the turn of the millennium, three men paraded into the quaint restaurant toting shotguns, and in an attempt to rob the place, shot Alfonzo. Lucky for him, he survived. But, why keep the place open? The stupidity of a few ruined this establishment for all. What intrigues me though, is that he just dropped it. Like dropping the dish towel when you are done, they locked up the doors and left it. Nothing was changed, food was still out, wine was still uncorked, glasses were only half clean.

I had a chance to go in there yesterday afternoon, albeit not totally through the front door (if you catch my drift), but I'm sorry, this place has to be captured like this. This memory for me, needs to be preserved. See, Alfonzo's has been sold for a cool three mil, and yes, it will be torn down and in it's place a little community with 20 cookie-cutter houses with seven feet between them will sprout up. So what am I doing? I don't know, but I shot for about two hours yesterday with nothing but the afternoon light that trickled through the broken windows onto the set tables. My plan is to make a mini-exhibit of these shots, showcased on my website. You all will be the first to hear about it when I have it done. It really is a shame.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

before you know it the entire island is going to be cookie cutter houses devoid of any culture or character, which will be perfect for the residents who live in them as they mindlessly fill their homes with whatever conformist trend is sweeping the nation, be it starbucks coffee or wal-mart crap.....

Anonymous said...

who the hell fills his/her house with wal-mart crap??

Anonymous said...

that's awesome how everything is still just laid out like it was that night. i'm definitely looking forward to the pics.

it kind of reminds me of this art exhibit that i heard about. in the corner of this museum this artist had chairs and tables set up and there were ashtrays and empty beer bottles and half empty wine glasses and couches and it was supposed to be the actual "piece". Well, this janitor comes by at night and cleans it all up thinking that it was left over from some viewing. The artist shows up the next day and there's nothing there. haha.

long live the corporate empires and mindless consumers who will buy anything and love trendy coffee shops that crush local chains adored by hippies!!!!

Anonymous said...

if you can capture the memory everyone seems to still have of the place, then go for it. it will be amazing. pretty soon all of ssi will be just a memory....

Anonymous said...

I'm from Fernandina Bch. (locals DON'T say "Amelia Island") & pretty much the same thing is happening there. Alphonza's has always been one of my fav. places - he truly understood exactly what it took to create magic.