start. people. places. things. me. | island profilin'

An illustration of my life, loves and various random information
that you may or may not find the least bit useful...
all from the island of St. Simons.

Friday, November 11, 2005

Friday Foto

Mercier Lake panorama
November 5, 2005
9 different images combined


Bourbon Street, Epworth, GA
November 5, 2005

Surprise! Today is Friday Foto and I thought, to get you into the fall mood (since xmas music doesn't work on half of you!) I would post a couple of the photos that I took last weekend in the north Georgia mountains. I'm rewarding you with two because you have been so good in the amount of comments that have been posted lately in regards to our debate on creationism v. evolutionism.

On to the photos... the first one is a merge of nine photos. Three pictures at three different exposures (to catch all the colors perfectly) at three different angles (left, middle, right) in order to create a panorama scene. Pretty neat huh? The second one was taken down the road to my cabin. After crappin' around in town for half the morning on Saturday, we all went back to the cabin, only for everyone to nap... except me. See, I have an unnatural energy source that I can't control, so I got in my Jeep and drove around all the mountains photographing. The best thing about having a GPS (yes, they are the greatest things EVER) is I didn't have to worry about where I was going. I just kept on driving... see a cool road over there, go down it. No worries in trying to keep course. It's very liberating. Kind of like going to work without underwear on..... So, when I was done, I just set the GPS to take me back to the cabin, and tada, I'm back!

So, I keep my fingers crossed, but I think it's cooling of here for the weekend (hopefully longer). We'll see. Ok, my favorite Christmas album, well I have two. The first one is definitely Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton's Once Upon a Christmas. A close second is the Carpenter's Christmas album. I have three favorite Christmas movies, all though all of them are great. The first has to be A Smoky Mountain Christmas (yes the one with Dolly Parton). The second is National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, and the third is Elf. The best scene in National Lampoon's is definitely when Snots the dog makes his appearance. I laugh just thinking about it. Elf is the newest addition, and rightfully so. Will Ferrell cracks me up. Who's got a favorite? Have a great weekend!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite christmas Album would be John Denver.... its spectacular. we have it on a tape, yes one of those ancient, 2-sided tapes! we listen to that thing so much i am surprised it hasnt died. a close second would have to be the Carpenter christmas album.

I do not have a favorite movie. I have never seen A Wonderful Life (gasp, i know), Miracle on 34th annoys me, and a Christmas Story (i think thats the name- the one with the little boy and the BB Gun...that plays continuously on TBS) is the most obnoxious thing ever. I hate it. Rudolph is good, and i like frosty the snowman, but thats about it as far as movies go. also, its not even thanksgiving yet, too early to be thinking about it. haha.

and, nice pics, ben!

Anonymous said...

sara, i have to agree about the christmas story...and i havent seen a wonderful life,nor a miracle on 34th...sad.
and it IS too early to play christmas music. why would you wanna get sick of it by the time christmas rolls around?? :) but my mom does have this all-instrumental cd thats awesome that i looove.

ben, the pictures are really pretty.

Anonymous said...

nice pictures ben. lets be real, tho...you love a christmas story. you use to make me watch it over and over and over again every christmas!
"you'll shoot your eye out!"

definately the carpenter album..thanks to dad.

Anonymous said...

If anyone's interested in some really interesting Christmas Music, mixed with hundreds of samples and laid down studio beats, check out "A Mutated Christmas" by Corporal Blossom. This is some really good stuff! It's my album of choice, aside from the blues based Christmas Songs, like the ones recorded by Canned Heat (Christmas Blues) or the Eagles (Bells Will Be Ringing)... Click my name to hear some Mutated Christmas ...

Anonymous said...

wow! i love that mutated christmas song! high-five to you for finding something new!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love A Christmas Story. Who can forget the tire-changing incident when the f-bomb is dropped? Great movie.

Anonymous said...

i love whote christmas, but am not a fan of that jumbled-up version.

Anonymous said...

Our house has been full of Kenny and Dolly lately... Ben seems to play it any time he can. I LOVE "It's a wonderful Life" and "Christmas Vacation." "The Christmas Story" is hands down the worst, creepiest, so-called Christmas movie in history.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, have to agree with A Christmas Story being a weird Christmas movie.......I have never been able to watch it all the way through. I have seen the kid get his tongue stuck about 500 times though. Christmas Vacation, Scrooged(w/Bill Murray), The Ref(w/Denis Leary), Die Hard, and one that Kelly would love Bad Santa!!! Those Christmas movies rock! A Wonderful Life is awesome and you need to watch it to be called an American. Goat, are you secretly a mother-canucker??? It's never too early for Christmas music, and I really hope TBS doesn't have 24 hrs. of a Christmas Story again this year.

Anonymous said...

OK, proof that it isn't too early to start the Christmas cheer- TBS has been playing "How the Grinch Stole Chirstmas" every night this weekend, along with "THe Wizard of Oz" and "Home Alone." Now, I know some of you are going to say that TBS doesn't dictate when Christmas starts, but I think that it is saying something significant. Christmas starts right after Halloween!!!!! Who's with me???

Anonymous said...

What the hell does "The Wizard of Oz" have to do with Christmas? Opiates falling from the sky?

"Poppies will make them sleep, Poppies"

Anonymous said...

if TBS doesn't dictate when christmas is....who does?

Anonymous said...

TBS ALWAYS shows the Wizard of Oz around Christmas time. Also, I noticed downtown Brunswick has put up the telephone poll lights AND I'm seeing PLENTY of Christmas commercials!!! CHRISTMAS IS HERE!

Anonymous said...

Thanksgiving isnt here yet, how the hell can Christmas already be. I realize that I am in the minority when it comes to this thought, but it is far too early to celebrate 'the season'. At least wait til December= then you will be in the right month. I think my problem with it is this- why have a month long holiday? thats essentially what it is. its just one day of the year. no one starts decorating for 4th of july in may/june, why do it for christmas?

Anonymous said...

well, I guess Goat won't be coming to our Christmas party over T-day break since it's not "in December"

Anonymous said...

Ouch... i was just curious as to why it is a month long season. haha. i would still love to come to your soiree, and i promise, i will NOT tear off the wreath on your front door ;)