start. people. places. things. me. | island profilin'

An illustration of my life, loves and various random information
that you may or may not find the least bit useful...
all from the island of St. Simons.

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Slow goes it

Today is dragging... Anybody got anything they want to talk about? I wish the weather would cool off again. I hate that it is close to 80 outside. Has anybody ever had a Chai Latte? Man, they are amazing. I know, it sounds like something only hippie vegans would indulge in, but no... the are very tasty.

So, what's up with kids these days. When I was in High School I don't remember things like this happening often. I know HS students engage in sexual activities, they have been since Grease, but come on! In school, between classes? "Man, my sandwich is boring, let's go have sex." Yeah, I can almost hear it now. My wife teaches and she tells me weekly of students' comments regarding "it".

So, when should one start listening to Christmas music? Most say after Thanksgiving. Department stores and my wife start November 1st. I have to admit, I love Christmas music. It does the perfect job of putting me in the mood. That and cookies, fresh baked cookies. The best thing about Thanksgiving is fried turkey. Forget oven-roasted, grilled, micro-waved, etc. The only way to cook turkey is fry it. If you never have had it, email me and I'll email you back a sample. Seriously though, it is incredible.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

November 1st is far too early to listen to christmas music! Even the day after thanksgiving is too early. two weeks of christmas songs is all i need to hear before i want to kill myself if i hear one more rendition of jingle bells, etc...

Ben said...

How did I know that the hippie vegan would also be a scrooge!

Anonymous said...

HAHA, why dont you just go to Vermont. X-mas music is good, I prefer to wait till it gets a little cooler. I would have no problem listening to it now, as long as the weather wasnt 80 freaking degrees

Anonymous said...

First off i am not a scrooge, i just have some issues with the whole christmas holiday- though i do not want to get into it here, for fear of your wife beating me :). and secondly, i am not moving to Vermont, well, i might, but its not my first choice!
And third, i am not a vegan, i love cheese and honey mustard way too much!

Anonymous said...

you damn hippie liberal!!!

Anonymous said...

A of D > Gimme ... We miss you Mike

Anonymous said...

take a listen

http://www.goandleaveyourmark.com/Chilly.wma


starts to get really interesting around the 5 minute mark

sorry if this is the inappropriate venue for such shenanigans

Anonymous said...

Christmas music rocks. Nov. 1st is the perfect day to start listening to Christmas music. I would have the tree up before Thanksgiving if possible. Goat, when did you become soul-less. Who knew all it was worth was the price of a Davidson education. I guess you won't need a lump of coal since your hearts already turned into one.

Anonymous said...

I personally think that it is appropriate to start listening to Christmas music when you begin Christmas activities such as wrapping gifts, putting up the tree, etc etc. I don't think that listening to Christmas music is the first thing, but rather something that follows the other traditions.

Anonymous said...

um, no. Christmas music is what gets you in the spirit! It preceeds ALL Christmas activities!

Anonymous said...

look, it's WAY too early and WAY too nice out to even be discussing Christmas Music.. it'll be here soon enough, along with the destitution that is winter.

Enjoy Fall now, and that crap later

Anonymous said...

why is angel food cake white? why is devil's food cake black?
why do we call the kettle black? why do we call it blackmail? why is the purity of innocence white?
why do most degrading terms have to deal with the color black?

Anonymous said...

Just because you all don't have the Christmas spirit in your heart doesn't mean others don't. I say, go ahead Kelly, celebrate in July if you wish and sing those Jingle Bell Rocks. Who cares if some have lost their childhood innocence and can't get into the spirit? And since when did weather dictate when Christmas came? I recall wearing shorts most Chirstmases.

Ben said...

food for thought,
why does asprin work?... (joke people!)

Anonymous said...

asprin? huh? it works because scientists and chemists made it work...?

Anonymous said...

I would say it works because it's white? I think I have answered "food for thoughts" question. I just realized Ben beat me to the joke. Here's one..... why are black jelly beans the most hated bean of all???? Go ahead and talk about how much you love them goat. Hippie!

Anonymous said...

hahaha i just got the joke! sorry it took so long....ha.
listen i know this is all a funny matter, but when you're in an african-american studies class with all blacks like i am, its not! questions like these are hard to answer in class when i'm the minority!

Anonymous said...

Just tell the truth. They'll understand and you can fulfill all of their stereotypes.

Anonymous said...

already tried that...teacher made me write a "special" report on why i thought the way i thought and how i thought class went since i was out-numbered 34-1!
and she's black....

Anonymous said...

To get back to the jelly bean question. Black jelly beans are the most hated because they taste like licorice, and nobody likes licorice (and i am not getting to the racial slurs with this one.....though, Ben, the joke at dinner the other night has been a huge hit)