start. people. places. things. me. | island profilin'

An illustration of my life, loves and various random information
that you may or may not find the least bit useful...
all from the island of St. Simons.

Friday, October 14, 2005

Friday Fact (sort of): The Jiffy

Ahhh, the Jiffy. If you are from St. Simons Island, you know what I am talking about. Non-natives, read on... because we will not cease from calling all gas station, convenience stores and quickmarts "The Jiffy". Food from a Jiffy is "Jiffy Food." It's so easier than saying, "Honey, I need to run up to Bubba's Quick Mart Circle K for a gallon of milk." We have all been there. You go away for college for the first time and your hanging out with all of your new college friends. You casually drop how you need to stop by a Jiffy and get some gas. See, they all understand what you are talking about, but have never heard it called that. This is the reason "Jiffy" is here to stay.

I have done a little research on this matter, and have close to nothing to show for it. The Jiffy-Huntly Food Store was on St. Simons until the earl 90's. There was one across from Brogen's North, and maybe another, but I can't remember. I remember walking from my childhood home in Glynn Haven with 50 cents and so much built-up excitement about what kind of candy I was going to get. It took me close to 15 minutes each time to decide (usually the redhots or lemon drops). Did you know that kids growing up still call it The Jiffy? Freshmen in HS, born before there was a Jiffy, call it Jiffy. This is great. The name and legend lives on!

This saddens me. I can't seem to find anything substantial on the Jiffy. I know there is one somewhere in Alabama.... road trip anyone? We must preserve the memory of the Jiffy. Please, adopt this name if you haven't already. I promise, it's much easier on the palette than my wife's spinach souffle. See you at the Jiffy!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha, isnt that something that you would do or maybe Turner would up at his chateau.

Anonymous said...

IT STILL TAKES YOU 15 MINUTES TO PICK OUT CANDY! the "jiffy" store name will always remain and it will always take you 15 mintues to pick out your candy! some things will never change...

Anonymous said...

The Jiffy bum's name was John. My dad used to talk to him and help him out. we used to have so many island characters around here. who remembers betty boop or the mayor of brunswick?

The only candy ben likes is mine. HAHAHAHAHAAAAA!

Anonymous said...

i remember Betty Boob, always walking up and down Frederica Rd. Kel, I loved the picture of your golden hair last night.

Anonymous said...

KELLY, talk like that is not allowed in front of the sister! GROSSSSSS

Anonymous said...

Who was the Mayor of Brunswick? Bobby?? Anyone remember the can-man? he used to ride his bike around with a walkman and just pick up aluminum cans...K-Deery told me he was some sort of child molester, but i don't think so.

Definitely remember Betty Boop....

Anonymous said...

the can-man is bicycle bob. he used to ride the yellow bike around with his headphones on and his blue hat. he is a child molester! children be ware!

Anonymous said...

oh grow up.