start. people. places. things. me. | island profilin'

An illustration of my life, loves and various random information
that you may or may not find the least bit useful...
all from the island of St. Simons.

Monday, October 31, 2005

Whew!

What a nice, long weekend! Having taken Friday off, it seemed like it lasted for ever. I am not complaining though. I feel like I neglected you guys over the weekend, and for that I apologize. I had all intentions of sending a blog post along with picture from my phone on Friday when I was on the Altamaha River, but ran into technology issues. I'm sad to see the weekend go, but sure am glad to reclaim the island for the locals.

Let's start with a Monday morning filibuster! Is anyone keeping up with Bush's nomination process for Supreme Court Judge? Here's the easy dirty lowdown. Justice Sandra Day O'Conner retired a couple weeks back. When this happens, the president gets to nominate a new candidate. He did this once already when he nominated White House attorney Harriet Miers. She withdrew her nomination and now he has another chance. He is expected to nominate U.S. appeals court judge Samuel Alito this morning in a press conference. Why does this all matter? Because the 9 judges on the panel have the final say-so in very important matters (although the President can veto if he sees fit). Alito is a conservative. He will add a very right-winged weight to the court... can anybody say, overturn Roe v. Wade?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I personally think they would need another conservative to overturn Roe v. Wade, assuming that Roberts, Scalia, Thomas, and Alito would all vote to do so (which I actually don't think they would all vote to overturn). I thikn that it is safe to assume that Kennedy, Breyer, Ginsburg, Stevens, and Souter would all uphold the ruling.

Anonymous said...

who?

Anonymous said...

Actually the Supreme Court does not have the right to make laws; therefore, Roe v. Wade cannot be overturned because that, in turn, would be making a new law. Something like 60% of America is pro-choice, so it most likely would not get overturned even if the Court had that right. They may restrict the law saying that one can only get an abortion during the first trimester, etc... which is fine, but eliminating all together would be madness!

Anonymous said...

Ben...
the President has NO veto over anything that the Supream Court rules this is part of the checks and balances built into our Constitution. You should check it out.