start. people. places. things. me. | island profilin'

An illustration of my life, loves and various random information
that you may or may not find the least bit useful...
all from the island of St. Simons.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Hush that fuss.

It's horrible how modern media can distort our perception of history. Last night Rosa Parks died at 92. Unfortunately, whenever I hear that name I immediately start grindin' to Outkast. I don't think about the icon she was, nor do I give recollection to the movement she started and participated in. I am not incoherent to what she stood for, it's just not the first thing that pops into my head. Did you know that a while back Outkast was being sued over that song Rosa Parks (LaFace Records v. Parks)? Yeah, the suit claimed it defiled her name. I don't remember what happened... Maybe someone can look it up and find out.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

She lost I think.

Anonymous said...

I've read that she wasn't really trying to make a civil rights statement on that bus--she was just tired and didn't feel like walking to the back. I don't know if that's true though.

Anonymous said...

of course Bum has to write something no one understands

Anonymous said...

no kiddin

Anonymous said...

ah ha...hush that fuss. every body move to the back of the bus.

Anonymous said...

my fingers hurt! Well now your backs gonna hurt because you just pulled landscaping duty!

MISTA MISTA.....GET ME OUTTA HERE!!

Anonymous said...

Ok, Bum copied and pasted from an internet site...

Translation: The Court found that the relationship between the song and the real Rosa Parks was "not obvious". They also found that the lyrics were "open to debate" as to how to interpret them.`

The Court also said that OutKast did not intend the song to be about the real Rosa Parks and that the song made no specific factual reference to Ms. Parks. As a result, it is open to interpretation as to whether the song is about her.

The Writ of Certiori (pronounced sir-shee-or-ee) is merely an appeal to the Supreme Court, where they declined to hear the case. As a result, the above decision is the final decision.

Anonymous said...

sorry jew-bacca:

while your pronunciation may be close, your spelling ain't.

It's "Certiorari."

click my name if you're skeptical.

I copied and pasted from LexisNexis for Lawschool.

Anonymous said...

Ask any lawyer who has argued before the Court and they will tell you that in fact it IS pronounced "Sir-shee-or-ee" by anyone having anything to do with the Court. If we went by the dictionary's pronuciation of everything, our language would be mightily different, don't you think? Now, if one were to walk around throwing around the term "Certiorari," you will be laughed at. No one calls it this. It is merely referred to as a "Writ of Cert" by legal professionals.

Now don't get mad because I called you out on the copy and paste.

Anonymous said...

Oh snap

Anonymous said...

Bum, can you be anything but a spell checker. Damn, those dorks on ESPN every year are cooler than you. Oh, and check out my link. This is definitely a word Bum would not have any idea about, unless he was thinking of Kurt.