start. people. places. things. me. | island profilin'

An illustration of my life, loves and various random information
that you may or may not find the least bit useful...
all from the island of St. Simons.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Momentary Memories

I have this love for the outdoors. Everything outdoors. Things that I've never even done, like ice climbing, I still love. I fantasize about getting trapped on a desert island and having to survive (I would be fine until my chapstick ran out). One of my earliest memories is camping. I went to Laurel S. Walker State Park (Georgia) and I was probably 4. I had the coolest felt Indian Jones style hat with a green down vest to complete my ensemble. It was winter time which meant fire time. Their is something ingrained in all boys, carrying through adulthood might I add, that totally infatuates us with fire. Man, my favorite thing to do was light a stick on fire and spell my name in the air with smoke. Oh, or light little mini-fires all around only to get yelled at for almost starting a forrest fire. Fire was great, but it never beat out the S'mores. I was king of S'mores (and you could tell).

As I grew up my love for camping didn't die, just the opportunity to go did. Don't get me wrong, I still make it outdoors as often as I can, but somethings just change. Don't you just wish sometimes that you could go back to that time when you were learning things still? Learning how to light a lantern, or start a fire, or pitch a tent (refrain from the jokes please), or chop firewood? I did, but then I found something that kind of cured it... teaching others.

The first time I took my wife (then my girlfriend) camping was an experience to say the least. I don't think she understood that blow dryers and jewelry weren't proper camping equipment. "Yes, you can cook baked beans right from the can." "Yes, you use the bathroom right there." "No, there is nothing outside the tent." But, in her defense, she is a great camper now. Teaching her how to do all the things I once was taught gave me one of the greatest satisfactions I've known. Despite the number of times we've slept in the tiny car, as opposed to the big tent because, "Something moved outside" ("No shit, this is the woods!"), she is great to camp with.

I guess the point I am feebly attempting to make here is this. Often times we find ourselves yearning for the past. A taste of it, or maybe to relive "the good ole' times". Instead of reminiscing, you should relate; relate your experiences, lessons learned, to those around you. Give others a piece of what you cherish so much. In an essence, spread the memory. By spreading it, you preserve it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think that's my favorite one you have written so far. you make childhood seem so far away yet so easy to grasp. good job ben jamin.
p.s. how about the time we went camping and you tried to pass on the insightful ways of closing/opening a switch blade only to find it closing in your finger! a knife dangling from your thumb and mom passed out on the side of the road was a camping trip to remember! high five to the good ole times!

Anonymous said...

they should make "campfire" a smell. ummmmm, good.

Anonymous said...

This is a nice post ;-)
you have to admit i'm not prissy about camping anymore...who needs to walk to the bathroom in the middle of the night when you have a cup handy...:-)or a beach chair;-)