start. people. places. things. me. | island profilin'

An illustration of my life, loves and various random information
that you may or may not find the least bit useful...
all from the island of St. Simons.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Momentary Memories



I remember sitting on a plane waiting to take off for the British Virgin Islands reading with tears in my eyes. It was The Beloved Invader by Eugenia Price that grabbed my heart and broke it. The second story in the St. Simons Trilogy; it's hardly just about our little island. A tale of love, coming of age and death all wrapped up into a literary tale based on the history of our island.

The tree was 200 years old. It saw the rebuild of Christ Church. Maybe it saw the desecration of it. How many weddings, how many funerals, how many baptisms? It fell Friday afternoon due to the rain caused by TS Tammy. I can not let this tree go to chips. Two afternoons were spent chopping and collecting it's fallen wood. The memories and spirits will live on in bonfires, cookouts and cold winter days in my hearth.

It wasn't just a tree. It was a Water Oak. Very similar to Live Oaks, they dominate our island and have provided wood for houses, food, boats, furniture, etc. for centuries. Many memories are still to come from our fallen friend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

very nice moker. however, the beloved invader was book 3. love you :-)

Anonymous said...

wow, deep. I think I just fell in love with you Ben, my heart is touched.

Anonymous said...

by they way, this is alex