start. people. places. things. me. | island profilin'

An illustration of my life, loves and various random information
that you may or may not find the least bit useful...
all from the island of St. Simons.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Nothing says fall like football


Now let me start by saying that I am not what you would call a sports fanatic. I know a little bit about a handful of sports, I played in various little league teams, but never worshipped it like most men. I was the one taking piano lessons while the others were away on soccer trips. Is there any regret? Absolutely not. I mean, I wish I could have played HS football, I think I would have gotten a lot of aggression out, some that may be still here today... But, that's what college intramural football teams are for, right? Man, I pulled those flags so hard, wishing I could have sacked everybody out there. I was only invited once to play tackle when it rained... I wonder why.

Anyway, nothing sums fall football up like the college game, and to be more specific, The University of Georgia v. University of Florida. The Dawgs and Gators (respectfully, for all you lost souls) have been rivals forever. I know every team has their rivals, so maybe mine is not as important as any other. But, on Halloween weekend every year, it sure feels different.

The last weekend in October finds St. Simons Island more crowded than a KFC after a Baptist church service. We are located only 80 miles from Jacksonville, where the game is held. Every Dawg fan seems to make their way down and crash on the island, being the real last haven until the Florida border. Most of the fans rent charter buses for the hour and a half drive down to the game, enabling them to take part in extra pre-game activities. You get there, and tail-gaitin' starts. Red and black and orange and blue everywhere. See, you would think that everybody goes to the game right? Wrong. Most people just come to St. Simons for the weekend. Georgia has their fall break the Thursday and Friday before the game, so the island becomes a breading ground for red and black sorority bops. All the frat boys come down in their red pants hoping to get a piece of "gator-tail" (no, not the reptile), but in all realty, wind up passed out before the game begins.

What do I like so much about GA/FLA? I didn't go to either school. I don't love football as much as some. So why do I care? It's a symbol. It is one of the chapters that would have to be written about in the book on St. Simons. It's a mark of the fall; time to see friends, have partys, cookouts, fires. It's more than a football game.

Now it's time to share favorite memories! Whose in? The memory can be related to GA/FLA or not. Perhaps you have a different fall memory you'd like to share. Whatever it may be, post it below so we can all enjoy.

44 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to seeing turner covered in cheese grits this year....

Anonymous said...

My favorite GA/FLA game was obviously last year, when we vented out all our frustration from the previous years with a big win over the hated Gators.

The most fun GA/FLA had to be the year before. Halloween at Rafters, waking up at 7, somewhere I shouldnt have been, getting on a random bus filled with law students and buying a 12 pack at 8:30 with Turner. Even though we lost, the weekend was a blast, as all GA/FLA games are.

Anonymous said...

and where did you wake up, stranger?

Anonymous said...

the people that need to know have that information. HAHA

Anonymous said...

I've got to go with last year being my favorite Ga/Fla weekend.

Getting to and from the game, although unplanned, was extremely simple.

It was 90 degrees according to the Alltel Stadium thermometer. FANTASTIC!

We had a great spot to tailgate in the grass, funneled beers, and played horse-shoes. Fantastic!

The prior year we did go tubing in the rivers, but overall, last year takes the cake.

Stranger's strange awakening in a strange land was a bit too strange for me. Actually it was just too straining. Waking up on 2 hours of sleep to get on a bus to take us down to jacksonville where we had no tailgating essentials (ie. place to sit, things to eat) was rough.. The 4th quarter loss (preesh Fred) wasn't much fun either.

Anonymous said...

just wanted you to admit it...

Anonymous said...

Preesh to me on the fabulous tailgaiting spot. How awesome was it running across the interstate?

Quote that shall live on foh-eva.

"Goooo Football" HAHA and to a hot girl no less.

Anonymous said...

robbie, you must really be bored today.

Anonymous said...

I am, one of our systems is down, so I cant do much. I love GA/FLA week.

Too bad you are going to Auburn. Shame

Anonymous said...

awwww, hahaha. sorry to disappoint. good excuse to have some fun for free with people who are great. i know youre going to disown me one of these days due to my not being a georgia fan. but i dont hate them! i just dont "go" for them. have a good one. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm with you duck ;-) I root for Vandy....GO DORES!!! UGA is too obnoxious ;-) :-) (angry comments expected)

Anonymous said...

yeah, i know. i think im gonna get kicked off here now. :)

Anonymous said...

and what are yall gonna do without shockley??? ;-) maybe a loss for the dawgs? haha.

Anonymous said...

Kelly, it's drunk AND obnoxious. TOO drunk and obnoxious. Get it right......hahahaha

Anonymous said...

who is "duck"? It's Dok Won Shuk. It was my pet name for Paige.

Anonymous said...

we're gonna be DRUNK and OBNOXIOUS and kick some gator ASS! That's what we're gonna do w/o Shockley.

Anonymous said...

robert, it was eric who made that shit up, not you. and pet name, my arse.

Anonymous said...

hold on, maybe it WAS you. i always think its eric because of that time in physics when he decided to write in chinese on the board, in honor of my new name.

Anonymous said...

It was me b/c of your hair pulled back.

Anonymous said...

i know, i know. it was so traumatizing, i was scared to wear a ponytail for fear of someone else saying it pulled my eyes back. you were too mean.

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahaha..........reese! man, that kid was funny as hell. He wrote in Chinese? Hey, do you guys remember Mrs. Wheeler's class. I don't think I've ever laughed THAT hard so many times in my life. Kelly, do you remember falling into the stack of European History books and having like 40 books go everywhere..........aaahhhHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA........I'm laughing my ass off right now just thinking about it. Man, those were good times.

Anonymous said...

I wrote the previous blog, but seriously, you guys have got to check out the link on "joe t iii". It might be the funniest thing I've ever read!

Anonymous said...

sorry, wrong blog posting....please see the next one down.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, the earth shattering hugs everyday before class. The penny wars with Dave and Kurt. Kelly throwing me a pen and getting detention. Oh, the days when we could get drunk before school.

Bum, you love Kurt

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHA

great link on the downhill mountain biking team!

Anonymous said...

yes, I recall all of those happy memories from Mrs. Wheeler's class. I find it highly ironic that she is my mentor now and gives me tips on how to manage a classroom!!!! Yes Turner, you are right; DRUNK AND OBNOXIOUS. I'm sure there won't be a shortage of either!!!!

Anonymous said...

what the hell was that web page for kurt for? I'm glad he was letting everyone know he graduated high school, when he was in college. So many times a kid is in college without a high school diploma. And did you notice he worked "as apart" of the Sea Island dock. hahahahahahaha....
what are eyebrows for?

Anonymous said...

I just thought of his downhill biking team that he was on and decided to see if his "resume" was still up. I also wanted Bum to be happy and thinking about Kurt always makes Bum happy

I'm sure he did it on purpose, but he last lived in Wymberly in like 4th grade.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHA!

Yeah, he was freaked out about his address being online (like you can't find it on google anyway) so he made up a fake address! hahahahaha

Thinkin' of "Legs" definitely made my day! hahahhahahaha

Anonymous said...

yeah, john, risi wrote in chinese. he was SUPPOSED to be going to the board to do a problem for poole, but instead started hacking at the board making things that looked chinese, and turned to ask me if i, dok won shuk, could understand it. shame. :)

Anonymous said...

Who remembers when Eric broke my wrist in Pool's class?

Anonymous said...

Oh, the days of Poole's class. I could get more detailed, but Paige might take offense to it.

My favorite moment was when Kelly told Mr. Poole that she didnt have the same test as everyone else and walked up to the front and grabbed the "right one"

Anonymous said...

hahaha. and you know what? I'm still paying for that. I see him EVERY Sunday in church!!!

Anonymous said...

what the hell did poole say when you did that kelly? Paige, that is the funniest shit I've ever heard.........i can just see reese now, hacking at the board, mr. poole completely puzzled....hahahahahahah I'm laughing my ass off!

Anonymous said...

He didn't really say anything...he was mad though. Man if a kid tried to do that in my class I'd kill him!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Turner, I'm sure you will take the credit for the nickname and whatever followed, seeing how you take credit for all the good things I bring to the table.

Anonymous said...

what good things, rob? yeah, i called you rob. get over it. and stop whining.

Anonymous said...

this was a pretty bad-ass ga/fl, i have to say...

Anonymous said...

GO GATORS!!!

Anonymous said...

are all you people still alive after this weekend? :)

Anonymous said...

Turner barely survived Sat. night, only thanks to me. Your welcome.

And whoever these people posting "Go Gators" need to be blacklisted.

Anonymous said...

haha, GO AUBURN! ;-)

Anonymous said...

It was me :-) I was a secret Gator fan this weekend, but NO MORE. GO VANDY!!!!

Anonymous said...

kelly, isnt jake at vanderbilt now?