start. people. places. things. me. | island profilin'

An illustration of my life, loves and various random information
that you may or may not find the least bit useful...
all from the island of St. Simons.

Monday, September 19, 2005

Momentary Memories

'Momentary Memories' is a short article based on a particular nostalgic feeling that we can all in, some way, hopefully relate to. Due to the random nature of nostalgia this post itself will be in random occurrence.

I was probably 7, maybe 8. It was one of those rare times growing up where my sister and I weren't bickering about something. It was late September, the tourists had all left and it was ice cream time. Their used to be a great ice cream parlor in the Village on St. Simons Island named Clifford's. Wall to wall ice cream. I remember I couldn't see over the counters. I knew it was ice cream time when Dad brought out the yellow tape cassette of Jimmy Buffet's Songs You Know By Heart. We'd pile in the car and drive the 5 miles down Frederica Road towards the village, all the while singing with the windows down. I remember the first time I got a cone. True love... the most efficient devise imaginable. We'd eat the ice cream, walk the pier and peer into the shops. This was before the Village was grown up. You know, I often wish I could go back there. Have someone drive me to Clifford's (it still be there) playing "A Pirate Looks at Forty" and buy me an ice cream. But you know what I've come to realize? It's not the ice cream that made the memory. It's the innocence of childhood. The lack of responsibility. The naivety of the world. If some one could swirl that up and put it in a cone, they'd make millions.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't care what anyone says...I'd rather have Clifford's than Barbara Jeans any day!

Remember that giant poster in there of the BIGGEST cone ever?

Anonymous said...

wow, talk about a tear jerker. innocence is a beautiful thing. we all wish we could bottle up moments and relive them everytime we wanted to uncap the magic jar. in my jar are pelican spit days. fun in the sun with everyone important around you...