start. people. places. things. me. | island profilin'

An illustration of my life, loves and various random information
that you may or may not find the least bit useful...
all from the island of St. Simons.

Sunday, September 18, 2005

The Randomness of a 'Hook-Up'

In the constraints of this article, I will define a 'hook-up' as follows: a period of no more than 36 hours in which two people have an above platonic attraction to each other that allows for some sort of unforeseen physical connection to take place. Now, let me define this further due to the nature and course of this article. In saying 'physical connection' I mean anything from the holding of hands to full-blown horizontal polka. Some may disagree with my definition of 'hook-up', but for this particular article I find this to be the best choice.

Now, before continuing on, if you haven't read my last post The Intriguing Type I suggest you go back and read it now. I believe that this is where most (not all, as I will discuss later) start. Unfortunately, some 'hook-ups' are with people that we rather not believe ourselves to have spent time with. These are the people that are reading this and saying, "This guy's got it all wrong." See, the can't admit to what they have done, so agreeing with me would be like admittance. And as we all know, admittance is the first step to acceptance.

It all starts with an attraction. More than likely physical, but can be an attraction of interest or need. See most, but not all, hook-ups happen while intoxicated. I don't believe that your sense for detecting physical attraction in another blurs the more you drink. I believe that what you base attraction on changes. No longer are you attracted to the tall, dark type... Rather your attracted to the one that can fulfill your needs. Of course, all of this happens in your subconscious, so you have very little control of it. It's not that your qualifications in another lower, it's that your wants bypass your needs.

In reference to my last article, aren't we usually attracted to people we are intrigued by? Not always. But this attraction isn't necessarily physical... it's more of a desire to know more. In essence, this is what a hook-up is. A desire for a little more than what you are currently getting. Not all hook-ups are bad. We learn from all of them, good or bad, but we also take something away as well (sometimes, more than we bargained for).

And then we get to the exception... (isn't their always one?) Their comes a point when one person becomes unfortunately so inebriated that their conscious and subconscious decision making process becomes temporarily extinct. They then return to an animal-like nature in which right from wrong is not even fathomable.

To wrap up, my point is this. I believe that a hook-up is in some way, shape or form a fulfillment to the wants and/or needs of the participant(s). Is this bad? Not entirely. Do I mean this in a your-just-an-empty-and-needy-person type of way? Not at all. We've all been there, and will be there. It's just something to think about.

Thanks to my two good friends who helped thaw my temporary writers block and produce this article... You know who you are!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think your analysis is pretty accurate....although there are definitely some people out there who's goal is to hook up with some random person that night...but then i reckon that's not a "random hook-up" per se, but rather an intended hook up with a random person....

Anonymous said...

very well put, trying to keep it real.

Anonymous said...

hummm, sounds like there is a very good story out there waiting to be told....!

Anonymous said...

YAY! I wasnt one of the two! Love yall! ;)

Also, nice article, Ben... i may have to disagree with parts, but very good.

Anonymous said...

well it looks like you have been given some bad information from your wife.

Anonymous said...

wait... is this the robby phelps thing...? hahahahahahaha

Anonymous said...

HAHA 4 weeks and it is still on the forefront and still is absolutely hilarious. HAHA